Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Gorgeous DIY Handwash!

   So I'm that person, cruising the internet all morning until my back can't take it anymore.  I'm surrounded by these fantastic people posting recipes for body scrubs (blech,) all kinds of things.  I found onegoodthingbyjillee and have been using her recipe for laundry soap for months, with a couple of tweaks, of course.  My husband is an aircraft mechanic so he gets pretty greasy, the original recipe wasn't cutting it so I increased all ingredients to 4 Tbsp. each and it's awesome!  Saves us tons of money.  I'll share my recipe then tell you why I'm all excited:

4 Tablespoons each Blue Dawn, (must be the blue, don't sweat it, it's a terrific investment,) Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda (NOT Baking soda, srsly.  It's in the same aisle as the laundry products) and Borax.  Funnel all of those things into some container, I use milk jugs since I had already thrown my laundry soap jugs out.  Pour in 4 cups boiling water, carefully please.  Last time I made it I just used super hot tap water, stuff still dissolved so whatever floats your boat.  Swish GENTLY so you don't end up with a jug full of bubbles.  When everything is dissolved, help it along with the end of a wooden or plastic spoon if you want, fill the container to the top with cold water, again, slowly.  Use between 1 and 1/2 cup in each load of laundry.  Seriously, check out her site, she has tons and tons of helpful household recipes and tricks, it's one of my favorite websites and I'm by far NOT a Domestic Goddess :)

   Now on to why I'm so excited.  I found that after I rinsed my hands off after adding the washing soda they were super soft and lovely.  So today I put my recipe skills to work.  This can be altered a thousand ways so do yo thang, baby.

   2 Tbsp. each Blue Dawn, Baking Soda and Washing soda.  I added a butt load of rose essential oil that I found at the dollar store in a gift packet (!!!!) but it didn't improve the smell like I wanted it to, I'm obsessed with roses at the mo.  I think when I make a new batch I won't use the Dawn, it's kind of harsh against the washing soda.  I did add a couple of teaspoons of a rose water and glycerin combo I got at the dollar store a while back and that did the trick!  Now I have fantastic hand washing soap that I came up with all by myself and makes my hands smell like roses!  If you are one of those people that carry hand sanitizer everywhere you go add a smidge of regular dish soap, the antibacterial on skin kind.  I've seen the Pink Dawn with Olay used for that purpose.  Nice on the hands I hear.  I just had to go put on a little lotion, definitely a little harsh. But a terrific start!  I'm going to go wash my hands again and pat myself on the back, LOL.  Stay frosty!

No comments:

Post a Comment